Vanilla Rose Meringues
These turned out perfect! Feel free to experiment with different flavorings. The main things you want to look for is an aquafaba that has the same viscosity of egg whites and use a ratio of 1:1 1/2 aquafaba to sugar. I found that this recipe works best with organic cane sugar but you can feel free to experiment with different sweeteners as well. Here's the recipe:
• 1 can low sodium chickpeas (liquids, or 'aquafaba' only)
• 1/3 C + 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
• 1 tsp rose water
• 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• 1/2 tsp red beet powder
• piping bag
• Line cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
• Open can of chickpeas and strain liquid into a small pot. Put chickpeas into a sealed container and throw it in your fridge for a future hummus, you don't need them for this!
• Boil liquid (Aquafaba) until it reduces by about 25-30% or until it looks to be about the consistency of egg whites. Let cool. (You could do this the day before so it's ready to go.) You should be left with around 1/3 C liquids.
• Once cooled, add to a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix on high for about 2-3 mins or until it starts to look frothy.
• Add sugar little by little and continue to mix for another 3 or so mins.
• Add cream of tartar, vanilla and rose water 1/4 tsp at a time and taste for flavour as it's potency may vary by brand.
• Mix until it forms peaks like a regular meringue. If it seems a little runny, add more sugar 1 Tbsp at a time. Don't worry about over mixing as with real egg whites. It took me around 10 mins total.
• Take 1/2 C of mixture and place in small bowl. Add beet powder (for colour) and mix until you have a beautiful pink colour.
• Coat the sides of your piping bag with the pink and add the white to the middle. Pipe into swirls on the parchment lined sheet. Repeat this until you run out.
• Bake at 200 F for 1 1/2 hrs. Turn off oven and (here is the hard part) let cool inside without cracking the door for about 30 mins. Crack oven slightly (I stick a wooden spoon in the door) and let cool another 30 mins. Remove from oven and let cool completely before moving.
• Ogle your little beauties, try to share!