• 1 can low sodium chickpeas (liquids, or 'aquafaba' only)
• 1/3 C + 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
• 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp fresh ground cardamom powder
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• piping bag
• Line cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
• Open can of chickpeas and strain liquid into a small pot. Put chickpeas into a sealed container and throw it in your fridge for a future hummus, you don't need them for this!
• Boil liquid (Aquafaba) until it reduces by about 25-30% or until it looks to be about the consistency of egg whites. Let cool. (You could do this the day before so it's ready to go.) You should be left with around 1/3 C liquids.
• Once cooled, add to a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix on high for about 2-3 mins or until it starts to look frothy.
• Add sugar little by little and continue to mix for another 3 or so mins.
• Add cream of tartar, vanilla and cardamom.
• Mix until it forms peaks like a regular meringue. If it seems a little runny, add more sugar 1 Tbsp at a time. Don't worry about over mixing as with real egg whites. It took me around 10 mins total.
• Pipe into swirls on the parchment lined sheet.
• Bake at 200 F for 1 1/2 hrs. Turn off oven and (here is the hard part) let cool inside without cracking the door for about 30 mins. Crack oven slightly (I stick a wooden spoon in the door) and let cool another 30 mins. Remove from oven and let cool completely before moving.
• That's it!
Cardamom Vanilla Meringues